Well, so far things are going well for the surviving kit. I have been taking it out about twice a day to be fed by Snowball. I just hope her milk doesn’t stop because of only one kit nursing. This kit is a different color than the last kit I had to take care of. It actually is a really pretty color.
As you can see, I definitely don’t want to be putting the kit outside right now. We have about six or seven inches of snow and it is pretty cold and windy.
About a month ago, I bred Snowball to Surprise. I wasn’t sure if it was a successful breeding or not, but I put in the calendar and put in the nest box. On Tuesday, Snowball had a litter of what I thought was six kits. They all looked healthy and warm. On Wednesday, we had a blizzard. The kits survived through that night. Thursday was warm, but that night it got really cold. The next morning, I found six dead kits and one live one. It was mostly my fault because I knew it was going to get cold that night. I should have brought the nest box in. Most of the kits just got scattered throughout the nest box and couldn’t stay warm. I found one kit underneath the cage. I am not sure where it came from, because I didn’t know I had seven kits in that litter. I guess I counted wrong. Anyway, now that there is only one kit left in the litter, I am repeating what I did when Snowball had only one kit in her last litter. Unfortunately, Snowball is still producing enough milk for a litter of seven, not for one. She is very uncomfortable right now, and I would give her something to slow down the milk but I need her to keep producing milk for the last kit. I will probably breed her soon, and that might help dry up milk production a little bit.
I took the pictures as promised. However, there are not thirteen kits in the picture. I counted them and realized there were only eleven. I pulled them all out of the nest-box and started poking around with my fingers. Then I realized if I didn’t want to find a dead kit with my fingers I better get something else. I got a stick and sure enough, there was a disintegrating kit at the front of the nest-box. I think it was two, it just was so rotten I couldn’t tell. I had noticed a smell in the box, but I thought it was just from kits peeing. I was wrong! I cleaned out the nest-box and put fresh straw in. All of the fur was gross, so they don’t have any of that now. It does smell better though.
Well, the kits have made it to one week. Snowball’s remaining two kits almost died because they got separated in the nest, but I managed to save them. I put them in Secret’s nest box and re-bred Snowball. Secret has done well raising thirteen kits so far. They are all fat and happy. I will post pictures of them tomorrow. I can’t wait to choose which ones to keep. 🙂
It’s finally here!! Snowball and Secret both have big bellies and are acting very pregnant. I gave them their nest-boxes on Saturday. Snowball built a nest in her nest-box that day. Secret waited until Sunday to build her nest. I am really excited about Secret because this time, she built a really good nest in her box. The last time she kindled, she built a nest on the wire and had her babies all over the place. This time looks much more hopeful. Snowball usually has her litter at night, and I am expecting Secret to do the same.
Well, Snowball did it!!! She had her fifth litter with eight bunnies all alive. They are all looking really good, especially considering the heat. They are not really covered with fur at all from Snowball. She didn’t pull too much fur, but she pulled enough that it covered them slightly. I am glad she knows what she is doing. The camera is not available right now, so I cannot take pictures. I will get pictures later.
So, the two bigger kits in Jelly’s litter died. She had packed the nest box with fur because it had been cooler the night before, and then when it got warm, the kits got overheated. I hadn’t been able to keep an eye on them, but when I checked later on, they were panting and very limp. They were just gasping for air and were very hot. By the time I found them, the biggest kit was basically dead, the second biggest was gasping, and he died later on. The runt was moving a bit more when I found them and he is still alive. I am just hoping Jelly doesn’t overfeed him because she was producing a lot of milk. It was really sad, because the one died in my hand and then the other one, I just had to leave, because there wasn’t anything I could do about it. Such is life though.