Well, so far things are going well for the surviving kit. I have been taking it out about twice a day to be fed by Snowball. I just hope her milk doesn’t stop because of only one kit nursing. This kit is a different color than the last kit I had to take care of. It actually is a really pretty color.
As you can see, I definitely don’t want to be putting the kit outside right now. We have about six or seven inches of snow and it is pretty cold and windy.
The kit is now nine weeks old. I am not quite sure what the sex is yet. I can’t tell if it is a doe, or a buck with a split penis. I am hoping that the latter is not the case. At any rate, it is getting huge. At first, when I saw it next to Snowball, it looked tiny, but now it is beginning to catch up to her. I need to take it out of Snowball’s cage, but I haven’t gotten the other cage ready yet. If it is a buck, it needs to come out very soon. The color of the fur on the kit is very pretty. The top layer is a reddish cream, and below the surface, there is a little bit of black tint. The belly is a cream color. Overall, it is a very good-looking kit. I just hope it doesn’t have any defects. I haven’t noticed the teeth going crooked, and I would like it to stay that way.
I tried to breed Secret and Surprise on Saturday, but she wouldn’t lift high enough, and it just wouldn’t happen. I put Secret in with the new buck next, but by then, she had enough with bucks, and wouldn’t lift at all. I tried Snowball next with the new buck, but he was kind of worn out from trying with Secret, and Snowball wouldn’t lift anyway. Hopefully, I will get a successful breeding soon.
It is June already! The bunnies are twelve weeks old tomorrow and are getting really big. They are healthy and eating a ton. I have to get rid of some soon. I have been supplementing their feed with alfalfa and grass. That cuts down on the amount they eat a little bit. I still haven’t decided which doe or buck I am going to keep. I have to weigh them and see which are the biggest. Most of them have at least gotten to five pounds, if not past that. The runt of the litter is my favorite, but he wouldn’t be a good addition to my breeding stock. He is much smaller than the rest.
Well, it doesn’t look like any of the babies have malocclusion. I have been checking their teeth regularly and they all look fine. I will probably start selling them soon, now that I don’t think they have it. I think Secret’s last kit just threw his teeth out of order by jerking on the wire. I have heard it can happen that way. I will still continue to watch their teeth just to make sure.
I haven’t bred Snowball again. I was going to right after she lost her last litter, but I decided I didn’t want an over-population of kits. I will breed her after I have gotten rid of the majority of Secret’s kits. I will probably breed Secret again as well since her kits look good.
The kits turned five weeks old yesterday. They look small until you pick one up. I can barely get my hands around most of them. The biggest is a white doe. There were a lot of red kits in this litter. There are seven red ones, two white ones, and two blackish ones. I am still not sure which one I am going to keep. I am also keeping an eye on their teeth because of Secret’s last kit. So far, I haven’t seen any signs of malocclusion.
The kits are getting big! Their sizes are now evening out more. Some of them have started eating the food out of the feeder. I turned the nest-box on its side, but that isn’t working so well, so the nest-box will be coming out in the next couple of days.
Well, the kits have made it to one week. Snowball’s remaining two kits almost died because they got separated in the nest, but I managed to save them. I put them in Secret’s nest box and re-bred Snowball. Secret has done well raising thirteen kits so far. They are all fat and happy. I will post pictures of them tomorrow. I can’t wait to choose which ones to keep. 🙂