Tag Archives: rabbits

The Last Kit

Well, so far things are going well for the surviving kit. I have been taking it out about twice a day to be fed by Snowball. I just hope her milk doesn’t stop because of only one kit nursing. This kit is a different color than the last kit I had to take care of. It actually is a really pretty color.

March 2016 146

March 2016 148

March 2016 149

March 2016 150

As you can see, I definitely don’t want to be putting the kit outside right now. We have about six or seven inches of snow and it is pretty cold and windy.

Thanks for reading. 🙂


Kit Update

The kit is now nine weeks old. I am not quite sure what the sex is yet. I can’t tell if it is a doe, or a buck with a split penis. I am hoping that the latter is not the case. At any rate, it is getting huge. At first, when I saw it next to Snowball, it looked tiny, but now it is beginning to catch up to her. I need to take it out of Snowball’s cage, but I haven’t gotten the other cage ready yet. If it is a buck, it needs to come out very soon. The color of the fur on the kit is very pretty. The top layer is a reddish cream, and below the surface, there is a little bit of black tint. The belly is a cream color. Overall, it is a very good-looking kit. I just hope it doesn’t have any defects. I haven’t noticed the teeth going crooked, and I would like it to stay that way.

I tried to breed Secret and Surprise on Saturday, but she wouldn’t lift high enough, and it just wouldn’t happen. I put Secret in with the new buck next, but by then, she had enough with bucks, and wouldn’t lift at all. I tried Snowball next with the new buck, but he was kind of worn out from trying with Secret, and Snowball wouldn’t lift anyway. Hopefully, I will get a successful breeding soon.

Thanks for reading.

October Update

Hey everyone, sorry it has been so long since I posted. There really has not been much excitement around the rabbitry.

I saved a buck out of the litter from March. He is now seven months old and he is a nice size. I still haven’t named him. I bred Snowball and him together last night. He was ready to breed and got her twice. I tried Surprise and Secret together, but Surprise is getting old and out of shape. Secret was willing, it just didn’t happen. Hopefully, I should have a litter a month from now. When I can get a hold of the camera, I will take pictures of the new buck and of the rabbitry.

Thanks for reading. 🙂

July Update

Sorry it has been so long since I last updated. I just have been really busy.

I still have five rabbits from Secret’s litter left. There are four bucks and one doe. I am considering keeping one of the bucks. He is a big bunny. I picked him up a couple of days ago and I couldn’t believe how big he was. I had been picking up his siblings before that so I could feel the difference. He is also red, which is a big plus. The doe is a beautiful red, but she isn’t as big as I would like her to be. I most likely won’t keep her.


Thanks for reading. 🙂

June Update

It is June already! The bunnies are twelve weeks old tomorrow and are getting really big. They are healthy and eating a ton. I have to get rid of some soon. I have been supplementing their feed with alfalfa and grass. That cuts down on the amount they eat a little bit. I still haven’t decided which doe or buck I am going to keep. I have to weigh them and see which are the biggest. Most of them have at least gotten to five pounds, if not past that. The runt of the litter is my favorite, but he wouldn’t be a good addition to my breeding stock. He is much smaller than the rest.

Thanks for reading.


May Update

Well, it doesn’t look like any of the babies have malocclusion. I have been checking their teeth regularly and they all look fine. I will probably start selling them soon, now that I don’t think they have it. I think Secret’s last kit just threw his teeth out of order by jerking on the wire. I have heard it can happen that way. I will still continue to watch their teeth just to make sure.

I haven’t bred Snowball again. I was going to right after she lost her last litter, but I decided I didn’t want an over-population of kits. I will breed her after I have gotten rid of the majority of Secret’s kits. I will probably breed Secret again as well since her kits look good.

Thanks for reading.


Six Weeks

Well, the kits aren’t weaned yet. I decided to redo my grow-out hutch and it took longer than I expected. I threw away the old frame and built a new one. I also converted the cage into a hanging cage. The wire I had stapled onto the wood was the right size, so all I had to do was J-clip it together. Anyway, the kits are still living with their mom. I hope to have at least two or three out of the cage tonight.

Here are some pictures.




Thanks for reading.