Well, so far things are going well for the surviving kit. I have been taking it out about twice a day to be fed by Snowball. I just hope her milk doesn’t stop because of only one kit nursing. This kit is a different color than the last kit I had to take care of. It actually is a really pretty color.
As you can see, I definitely don’t want to be putting the kit outside right now. We have about six or seven inches of snow and it is pretty cold and windy.
Yesterday, I sold two more of the last four. The doe and the red buck are now living somewhere else. Now I just have two more to get rid of. The white buck is pretty friendly and I am hoping someone will want to buy him.
Since I really need more rabbits, I decided to try breeding Secret again. I am hoping her second litter goes better than her first. I put her in with Surprise and he fell off twice. Hopefully on about September 10th, I will have a litter of live babies. I am going to try breeding Snowball tomorrow and if that is successful, I might have two litters in September. I will update tomorrow and tell if the breeding was successful.
Not much has happened here lately, which is actually pretty nice. I sold two more does last week so I only have four kits left. However, that means I still have plenty of bucks. There is only one doe left. I am hoping I sell them soon because I go through a lot more feed when they are around. Secret’s baby, the little buck, has been doing great, but about a week ago now, I went out and found him dragging his back end. He couldn’t move very well. I think he strained something in one of his legs because one of his legs was working enough so that he could still propel himself forward. I didn’t do anything because it didn’t look like I could do anything and he has been getting better. He still has a little limp but he can now walk around the cage almost normally.
When I went out to feed rabbits this morning, I saw fur all over Snowball’s cage. I counted days again and realized she was due this week, so I got a nest box and stuck it in there along with a bunch of straw. She started nesting right away and when I had to leave, she was pulling fur. When I got back, she had had nine babies, two were DOA and the rest were very content. Pictures tomorrow.
Time is flying, literally. I thought I had more time to put more posts up in February. I guess not.
I have some great news! I finally got a breeding that I was sure of. It was Squash Soup out of all the does. Crazy. I wasn’t originally planning on using her for a breeding doe, but she seemed ready to breed so I stuck her in with Surprise and within seconds of her getting in his cage, she was in the mating position and Surprise bred on her two times in only a couple minutes. I finally know what it means to “breed like rabbits”. She did get scared for a while and stiffened up when I took her out of Surprise’s cage. She just laid in a corner for a long time. I was hoping I hadn’t injured her in trying to get her out of her cage. Here are some pictures of a grown-up Squash.
Secret is about the same size as her sister. They are both about seven or eight pounds. Snowball took a while to get to her full size and I think both these does are going to do the same thing. Her dad is a bit smaller so she won’t be as big as Snowball, but she will be a good weight for a New Zealand. She has an iffy bred date. I am not sure if Surprise actually completed the breeding. However, if she does have a due date, she would be near the end of March or the beginning of April. She is a gorgeous red color and looks like a pure NZ red. I am hoping to get more rabbits of the same color. Here is a picture of her.
Snowball also has an iffy bred date. If she was bred, it was on February 22. I am really hoping to get another litter out of her. She is a great mom, when she has babies. Here’s a picture of her.
And last of all, is Surprise. Have to get the buck in here somewhere.
Maybe I will get more than one post up in this month. Please comment and keep me motivated. Thanks for reading.
Hey everybody, sorry about missing so many weeks. I really had nothing to post about because of my rabbits being stubborn. However, I thought I should give an update.
Snowball is still planting herself firmly on the cage floor and will not lift. I am wondering if she decided she was done breeding. I really hope not. Surprise is not really trying either. He just spends lots of time grooming her ears when they are together.
The younger females are not cooperating either. If they get stuck in the same cage as Surprise, they climb the walls or stomp their feet to keep him away. I am hoping in a month or two, they will be ready and willing. I am not trying to hard with them right now, because they are not too old. Secret is turning into a gorgeous rabbit. Here is a picture of her in her cage. She has grown quite a bit. Sorry about the quality, smart-phones don’t take the greatest pictures.
Thanks for reading. If anyone can tell me some new tricks for trying to get rabbits to breed, please comment.
Well, everybody, here is the promised weekly update.
It has been snowing for the last three days and it is freezing out! It has been in the negatives and consequently, rabbit bottles are freezing very rapidly. We have gotten quite a bit of snow, which is always good in Colorado.
The rabbits are doing pretty well with the cold other than their water. Since only three cages are occupied at the moment, I have enough water bottles to go around for switching back and forth.
Snowball is still stubbornly refusing to breed. I haven’t gotten her in with Surprise as much lately because of the cold, but I have to keep trying. Since Secret was five months in November, I decided to try and see if she would be ready for breeding. I checked her and she seemed pretty ready to breed, but I guess her mind said she wasn’t ready. She and Surprise were running in circles around the cage and I finally just took her out. Guess I am going to have to wait.